FREE WORKSHOP TEMPLATE
Project kickoff team workshop
Start your new projects in the right way with this outline for a project kickoff workshop
This template for a project kickoff includes: a checklist for before and after the session, questions to prompt thinking, and an example activity that you can run for each section with suggested timings.
It is designed as a half-day session, but you could allocate more time to each section and spend longer, or even divide it up and run it over a series of sessions.
- Set the context: introductions and overview of the project
- Explore the brief: look at the big picture and delve into the problem
- Share team expertise: Explore the skills and knowledge of the team
- Clarify roles: create clarity around expectations and responsibilities
- Plan for progress: identify mini-milestones to keep the project moving
- Identify the outcome: establish what success looks like and how to measure it
- Discuss how you will communicate: design ways of working together
- Set actions and next steps: agree on micro-tasks to start the project
What you’ll have at the end of the session:
- Broad project areas and questions to explore further
- A SWOT analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats), with team roles and the start of a project strategy
- Initial project timeline
- Project goals and objectives
- Guidelines for team collaboration
- Specific tasks for each team member to do
What to expect
The follow-up of the workshop will be just as important as the workshop itself, and you will need to do work afterwards to get the project started. The structure of the session is intended to spark thinking and get the team started. Set these expectations with your team about the aims of the session.
Learn more about the workshop in this post.